Author Topic: Problems Installing or Running the program?  (Read 26515 times)

Offline tighniamh

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Talk to me Goose
Re: Problems Installing or Running the program?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
Putting a new laptop online tonight, how do I get my recipies off the trial version and onto the paid copy on my new computer? Have been holding off on buying as I knew my old system needed to be replaced.
Primary #1: California Common
Primary #2: Schwarzbier w/Spruce
Primary #3: Oud Bruin
Primary #4: Bourbon Barrel Porter w/Vanilla
Primary #5: Evil Twin IPA
Bottled: Biere de Garde, Smashing Pumpkin,  APA
Planning: Winter Warmer, Stout

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Hi,
  Everything is in the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory by default (all of your data) - so if you copy that over to the same location on your new computer everything should come over with it.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline tblackett

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
Hi there,
New to BeerSmith - looks great.
Problems getting it to run properly:
I have set up my equipment, loaded a recipe and then gone to print the brew steps.
I am getting this come up quite a bit:
"Cannot find 'file:////H://BeerSmith2/bsxtmp_5433.htm. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

I have reinstalled, to no avail.

When i open brew steps I get a blank report.

Help please!!

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
Hi,
  It looks like it is pointing to a bad documents directory - some people have had this problem when their user directory is on a network/unusual drive.

I recommend creating a directory called BeerSmith2 under a location you regularly use (such as your main Documents directory).  Then use the "Change Documents Directory" command on the File menu to move your documents directory there.

This should resolve your problem.

Brad

Offline wittelsbach23

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Just download and paid for this program. When I have the trial version it worked fine, just after paying for it I get the following. " Beersmith2.exe has stopped working..a problem has been caused and windows will close the program. I  am using Vista. I re downloaded 3 times, changed the name, I have no clue what the issue is.

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
Hi,
  Most likely a corrupt file somewhere due to a crash or system crash.

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
     (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Cheers,
Brad

Offline wittelsbach23

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
Just deleted everything, re downloaded- works now. Not too big of a deal, only had 1 recipe on it. -Prosit

Offline senior

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Beersmith 2 starts fine, however when I attempt to add equipment (my specific kettle) when I click Save for the new equipment, I get a Segmentation Fault.  I looked for a core dump, but didn't find one.  Also get a seg fault when attempting to add a new hop variety (Falconer's Flight).

I'm running Beersmith 2.0.60 on Ubuntu 11.10, 64-bit version.  Also, after a crash, the stale lock file window can't be closed.  There's an OK button, but clicking it does nothing.  If I launched it from a terminal, I can Control-C and it goes away, but other than that, I can't close that window.  Are there any other details that I can post that will help?

Thanks for the Linux version of Beersmith2.  I bought a copy, but the problems using the product with WINE kept me from using it as much as I wanted to.  Very much looking forward to getting this version working well.

-Ryan

I intended this to go under the Linux Beta topic, not sure how it landed here and I don't know how to move it.  Moderator please help!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:02:28 PM by senior »

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
Senior,
  Could you contact me via email - I probably need more detailed information and perhaps some files to duplicate the bug.  Not sure yet what might be causing it.  You can use the contact page from the main BeerSmith site to send a message.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline halean

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »
Hi Brad,
I've just attempted to open Beersmith and was asked for my activation code.  I've owned the software since mid 2011 and was confused but sent an email requesting the activation code details.  I was sent the information, entered it and upon opening Beersmith 2 I discovered that my ALL of my recipes, profile details, etc were gone!!!

I run a Mac OS Snow Leopard system.  Can you please advise how I can fix this issue?

Thanks,
Dereck :-\ :-[ :(

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
Dereck,

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example) or it does not have your data, you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...)  - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
     (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Brad

Offline Foxy74

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
Hi,

Just a little thing that I noticed when installing Version 2.1;

I had just downloaded and installed the new version and when I clicked the Beersmith shortcut in my taskbar it prompted me to get the new version again. I downloaded BS2 and installed it again and I got the same prompt.

I use Win 7 and it turns out that the shortcut was not updating to the new version. I manually replaced the taskbar shortcut with a new shortcut to the new version. Problem solved.

Offline scott bradley

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
I used the trial version and after it expired I bought the activation code.   When I open the program, it tells me the trial has expired and I need to activate my copy.  I enter the code and it runs until I close the program again.  I sent an email to support 2 weeks ago that still has not been answered and I'm worried that I will run out of uses before my next brew session.  How do I get the program to stay activated?

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:29 AM »
Scott,
  I don't recall seeing your support email, and I do personally respond to each and every one I receive.

In most cases the issue you describe is a permissions problem.  One quick fix is to create your own "BeerSmith" directory somewhere under your Documents directory that you regularly use, then use the "Change Documents Directory" command on the file menu to point the program to that directory (the one you just created).  This should allow it to save your registration info, and that directory will be used for all future data.

Brad

Offline scott bradley

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »
Thanks Brad, it worked.  After your post I looked for the original email sent through the support page, but I can't find a copy of it being sent.  I think the email problem was on my end.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the fix!
Scott.

modification