• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Importing BeerXML files in BeerSmith 2

SDBrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
When I try to import a BeerXML file, Beer Smith 2 says that this is not currently supported but will be in a future update. When will this file be supported so I can start importing my recipes from another program? Thanks!

I also want to know how long to expect it as I decide how many to type in by hand.  Thanks!

Hi,
  At the moment I'm focusing on "emergency" bug fixes which I hope to include as a patch in the next week or two.

After that I'm working to complete the BeerXML import and a few less critical bugs - likely for release in July.

Brad

That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks as well as thanks for making this software Mac compatible!

Hi,
  I forgot to mention the obvious workaround!

If you download BeerSmith 1.4 from the little "BeerSmith 1.4" link at the top of our web site, you can:
  - Open your BeerXML file in BeerSmith 1.4
  - Export your BeerXML file as a BSM file
  - Import the BSM file into BeerSmith 2!

That will get you there - albeit you need BeerSmith 1.4 to do the translation for you.

Brad

I only have mac but I'll wait patiently (and manually input the ones I can't wait for).  Thanks!

When is the xml import due to release?
This is getting pain full. I am running out of machines to install the 1.4 demo on. Once they expire it wont even open.
When I find a couple recipes I like I don't want to have to type them all in.
I am on MAC so I have to also find a windows machine to do the conversion then switch back to the MAC.
Very Tedious.

OK I am a little lost on the "Import". Using 1.4 to make a BSM file. I can't drag to my existing BSM or save into it.
So basically I am forced to work out of several BSM files to brew a new "Imported" recipe?
I have like 50 recipes in xml format. So I have to work out of 50 different files?

I'm excited that the new update features .xml importing but for some reason, it's still not working on my mac.  Every time I try to import an .xml file, I get an error message that reads "assertion failed" and then rattles off some other info.  Am I doing something wrong?

Hi,
  Can you send me the XML file you are trying to impoort  (email it to beersmith at my beersmith.com email address) and I can take a look at it with the debugger on the Mac.

I did some testing on both PC and Mac and it seems to be importing XML files OK but perhaps there is something special about the file you are trying to import.

Brad

Back