• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Two beersmiths on same computer

troybinso

Apprentice
Reaction score
I would like to install beersmith2 on my computer, but with two separate instances. One for my 10 gallon homebrew setup and one for my 7 barrel work brewery. I was able to install them separately, but when I change the equipment settings in one, it changes it in the other. Is there any way to change the default folder for saving equipment settings and recipes?

Hi,
  I don't think this it is possible to do two installs on the same computer and keep them separate.  The program keeps a pointer to where the current documents directory is, so even if you had two installs they would likely go to the same data directory.

Why don't you simply set up two equipment profiles and then just pick the one you want to work with when creating a new recipe?

Brad

I just installed BS2 so I have not tested this completely.

In the FILE menu is: CHANGE DOCUMENT DIRECTORY

This is where all the data is keep.  Create two different directories one of the Homebrew and another for the Brewery

Or as Brad suggested, just create multiple folders inside of one installation.

David

Hi,
The only problem is that Changing the document directory will effectively change it for both copies, even if you had BeerSmith installed to two different directories...so unfortunately this will not solve your problem.

The best solution is to probably create two equipment profiles and use them in your recipes.  If you want separate recipe folders just create some subfolders under your My Recipes directory.

Brad

I have been trying your solution, but one thing that is annoying that doesn't seem to change easily is that the volume measurements don't seem to change when I switch from barrels to gallons and vice versa. I have to go in and manually change them after changing the equipment profile.

Would it work differently if I set up a separate partition on my hard drive (Windows 7) and installed one version there?

Well, I can't seem to beat it. I set up a new partition, installed a second instance of the program there, and created a folder to change the documents directory. One program and document folder on my C drive, and one program and document folder on my F drive. But everytime I change between them, they use the same document folder. I guess I will just have to try to work with the awkward measurements that flip flop from the homebrew to the big brew.

I think I see what you're talking about when you say you have to change the volume manually.  It looks to me like its an issue with units as opposed to the actual volume, e.g. 10 gal. v. .33bbl.  I think that volume units are global, meaning that that if you set up for gallons, bbls, etc., you get those units in every profile.  I can't find a way to tie the units selected to individual profiles as opposed to setting them globally.  THAT would be a very nice feature, though. 

Back