• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

External Refrigerator Controllers

Regarding lifting carboys in and out of a chest freezer, just go to HD, Lowes and buy yourself a pair of gloves that have rubber ribs on them. You get a great grip on your carboy, but still have to be careful. Mine are yellow.

I also have the Johnson controller and I'm satisfied with it and would recommend it to everyone (it's definitely worth the money)! I look up to everybody who does DIY projects, unfortunately I have a very limited talent regarding construction projects, and prefer to buy everything ;) It would be nice if some guys here would share their own projects, I'm curious!

8)I purchased both a chest and an upright freezer for fermenting and chilling kegged beer. I used the controllers and use a heat blanket when I want to use either one for ferminting. I use a pully system and harness to move my carboys or cornies in and out of the chest freezer. I purchased a lift at harbor freight that allows me to slide a carboy or keg to the upright freezer. Using both of these methods saves me from back pain and/or breaking a class carboy.

I found wide temperature swings in my home built kegerator (made from a new Danby fridge). It would swing up and down
from 27F to 42 and back within about an hour.   

So I bought a Johnson A419 digital controller, set it at 34-38 and that's what the fridge now runs at.

Seems to work fine.

Brian.   

I bought my Johnson Digital Controller  from Sear's and a 7.5 cubic foot chest freezer from HHGREGG. Got both for about $200. I did a lot of searching to get that low of a price.

I have a chest freezer with a box made of 2x10 to extend the lid higher, with a johnson digital controler just make sure you secure the sensor bulb for the controler well or it will fall out and you will have frozen lager. I also have taps on the front and can fit 4 kegs or three kegs and a carboy. I got the idea in byo magazine they have plans for the whole thing

Back