• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

About vanilla

MikeinWA

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Well, I know more than the average bear about this plant.  I grow orchids and I have 3 species of this orchid and will probably never see them bloom because they have to be very big to flower.  I know the most common vanilla is Vanilla planifolia.  It is grown in many parts of the world for commercial use and has to be hand propogated because there is no  pollinator outside of it's native area.  Also, the  "sap" can give a poison ivy like reaction to many people.

What I don't know is why the Hell my beer doesn't even have a hint of Vanilla after 7 days and 2 beans.  I have heard countless stories of friends and forum members having the Vanilla overwhelm the beer but not in my case.  Yes, I cut the beens in half and even quarted them.

The only thing I can figure is that my Porter (10.5% now) is too big of  a beer and it is going to take some time to get that essence to come through.  Even slightly.

Anyone care to throw me a bone?

For what it's worth; when we make vanilla extract, 2 beans in a liter of 100 proof rum or vodka can take up to six weeks for the solution to reach full strength.  Don't know how that translates for use in beer, but maybe it may shed some light.  Just a stab.

Back