• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Intro and question

signal2noise

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone!

I just downloaded BeerSmith a few days ago and I'm very excited to use it. I'm also glad to see a dedicated support system and reference here in the BeerSmith Forums.

I've been brewing extract beers on and off for about 3 years and have done about 150 gallons, so I have a little experience.

Here's a quick question for the batch I did last night. I measured a high OG (~1.090) when I was supposed to get 1.064. This was taken after I diluted the wort to 5 gallons in the carboy. After pitching the yeast I noticed stratification on the bottom of the carboy.

Was this the reason for my high gravity? Was it not properly mixed? I swirled the carboy around for few minutes after noticing this and it seemed to start fermentation this morning.

I'll take another gravity reading after fermentation slows and I transfer to secondary.

Cheers! 

Post this in the brewing forum.  What was the temp you took your reading?  That sounds like a really big beer being .090

It sounds like you added too much of one of the sugar sources.  You can do a rough calculation to see if what you added matches what you got - here are some estimated figures for points/lb from diffrent sources:
Dry Malt Extract          42
Malt extract Syrup      38
Pale Malt                    25 - 30
Crystal Malt (Steeped)  15
Crystal Malt (Mashed)  20
Munich or Vienna Malt  22
Dextrin malt                15
Total up what your recipe says you put in and divide by your 5 gallon final volume.  Your answer should be 90, as in 1.09, which is what you actually got - your recipe is the source.  If you get something less then that then you added too much of one component (too much DME or LME, assuming you are doing an extract).  If you steeped grains and added crystal malt then you may have extracted some unexpected extra sugar from the specialty grains - but .04 seems like too much to believe that is the problem.  Two other things, have you checked your hydrometer against water to make sure its accurate?  Temperature compensate the reading?

Back