Author Topic: 5.2 pH Stabilizer  (Read 34067 times)

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: 5.2 pH Stabilizer
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »
The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4). If you're lucky enough to have a water profile that matches these additions, it may actually do something for you.
Unfortunately, most water profiles do not fit these salts. There is no such thing as a magic bullet that "locks" Ph to a certain point. Water chemistry requires a start point based on your water profile and grain bill. Acidulated malt or lactic acid in varying amounts can compensate to bring your mash Ph up into a desirable range. Dark beers may actually require soda rather than lactic to bring the Ph down to a desirable range.
Therefore the additions in this "stabilizer" are only beneficial if your grain bill and water profile are already relatively close to the target you're seeking.
Five-Star makes some great products. Unfortunately this is not one of them.

Agreed.  If you have very hard water with a high Calcium content, it will work fine.  If you have low Calcium in your water, it may cause other side effects that you do not want.  The phosphate buffers will combine with the Calcium in the water and precipitate out as Calcium phosphate.  The lower Calcium left in the water may not be enough for good yeast activity and flocculation.  Even the experts at Five-Star admit that it was developed for a customer with specific water profile and is not suitable for everyone.  Use 5.2 Stabilizer with caution.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 01:05:52 AM »
I have no doubt that 5.2 works for many. It is manufactured by a very reputable company. Just be aware that pH isn't the only thing of major importance in the mash.
Bob

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 01:50:54 AM »
The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4). If you're lucky enough to have a water profile that matches these additions, it may actually do something for you.
Unfortunately, most water profiles do not fit these salts. There is no such thing as a magic bullet that "locks" Ph to a certain point. Water chemistry requires a start point based on your water profile and grain bill. Acidulated malt or lactic acid in varying amounts can compensate to bring your mash Ph up into a desirable range. Dark beers may actually require soda rather than lactic to bring the Ph down to a desirable range.
Therefore the additions in this "stabilizer" are only beneficial if your grain bill and water profile are already relatively close to the target you're seeking.
Five-Star makes some great products. Unfortunately this is not one of them.

Yeah my well water is burton water effectively it just has a PH of like 6.5-7.8 idk why but the water never changes the PH just fluctuates and I check it with a well calibrated meter.

Offline JimBarnett

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
I have soft water and find that pH Stabilizer has no effect on pH at all.  So I agree with the most recent posters.  It may be useful for certain types of water, but you shouldn't assume that it will work for you.  It is not being advertised honestly. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:27:39 AM by JimBarnett »