• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hop bag or no hop bag

S

Shakey_Dog

I have been using a hop bag for the last few years.  I do not remember noticing a diff. But that was long time and many beers ago.

Anybody know of any pros and cons to not using a hop bag over using one?

Don

More trub in the bottom of the fermentor, Just make sure you use one big enough for the hops (pellets) to expand. I am assuming you are talking about pellets. otherwise there really is very little diff that I can tell.

I did make one brew with a bag that was too small, thought it was going to explode!   :eek:

Once pellets are rehydrated and the acids and oils come out of them they are useless.

I don't usually use one on my darker beers, because clarity is not an issue, but on my kolsh, pilsner, and IPA I do. (my latest kolsh I didn't have one, and now it's not clearing up  :mad: )

You got it. Pellet.  

I was reading on another forum how much some people hate them.  I have been using theme long enough now that I cannot really remember if there was really any diff. in bitterness or aroma.  I did not remember any nor did I think that it would make any diff.

I have 2 big bags that I re use to make sure that I have enough room.

Don

You're losing some utilization by using a hop bag.
I just toss mine in, and let them have their way.
When I drain off my keggle, I leave the trub behind.

Back