• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

lead on brass fittings

J

jonboy

G'day everybody. Can someone tell me of the solution used to remove lead from new brass fittings. The solution turns blue as an indicator but that is all that I know of it. I downloaded the info off the net and then couldnt open the file when I went to retrieve it and of course had labled the file without the address. Typical! Many thanks< Jonboy ???

send me the file, i'll see what i can do. i'm a computer tech by trade, and have a LOT of software.

dcote@satx.rr.com

A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.
(From John Palmer's How To Brew)

Back