• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

partial mash

B

Birkett

whats the best way to formulate a partial mash recipe from an all grain recipe and an extract w/ grains recipe using beersmith???

Thanks,
Lee

Well,
 Normally I would take the grains from the all grain recipe, and just convert the majority of the base malt (usually a pale malt) to an equivalent amount of pale extract.  The conversion factor is very roughly 70% - so 10 lbs of pale malt would be about 7 lbs of pale extract.

You can then partial mash the remaining specialty grains with 1-2 pounds of pale malt (needed for mashing) and then add the extract.

If you want to email the recipe file to me I can convert it for you - I'm working on a tool to do this automatically.

Cheers!
Brad

Hey Brad,
I was looking to convert John Palmers "Lady Liberty Pale Ale" to a partial mash.

7 lbs. of 2 Row Base Malt
or British Pale Ale Malt
1/2 lb. of Crystal 60
or 1/4 each of Crystal 35 and Crystal 80

Thanks for the conversion rate. The partial mash option in beersmith sounds like a good idea along with the batch sparge.

So would i use 3lbs of LME in lieu of approx 4.25 lbs of 2 Row.

Partial mash conversion

2.75 lbs 2 Row
3 lbs Light/Pale LME
0.5 lbs Crystal 60

Let me know if this is right.

Thanks Again,
Lee

Birkett,
I'm not sure how much grain you want to mash, but here's a color balanced version (Pale extract is much darker than Pale malt):

Amount        Item        
2.24 lb       Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)  
4.28 lb       Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)    
0.26 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)

This one was automatically converted to balance the color and original gravity.

You also need to take into account bitterness if you are not doing a full batch boil since you may need more hops for a concentrated boil than a full batch boil.

Cheers!
Brad

Back