• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extra cold lager

allienbrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just started my first attempt at lagering. I am using a corny keg as primary fermintation. The corney is in the frig in my garage it has been around 35-40 degrees F. I set up a s-trap in the line as a bubbler. It bubbled for the first few days and is now slowing down, witch seems to be normal. What problems do I risk by ferminting at that cold? Should I skid secondary and leave it in primary or just stay on a 1 week prim 2 week sec schedule?

Thanks
Tim

I usually ferment around 45 to 50 but if its working at your temps then I guess it works!
As far as skipping the 2ndary, If you don't have much particulate to settle out then leave it.  I usually move it to the secondary just to help it clear.  Every Lager I've done, which has been plenty, benefits greatly from at least, the very least, one month post-primary fermentation lagering or cold storage.  I usually put it in the secondary for that period and 3 months works well for me.  That Lagering period is where I will drop the temp to 35.
I am more comfortable with it in the secondary because there is less chance of picking up off-flavors from the sediment of the primary especially with it sitting on it for that long. 
Keep an eye on the gravity so that you know exactly when its done and then bump the temp up to 50 or so to give the yeast a chance to eat up any diacetyl floating around.  Nothings worse than a buttered pilsener.

Back