• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Question

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I have been brewing extract batches of beer and have a question about the amount of yeast to pitch. I have a large brew pot and looking to get 6-6.5 gallon batches. I typically use White Labs yeast. White labs says that their vials are for 5 gallon batches. If I were to make a yeast starter would this compensate for the increase size of the batch.

If I were to make a yeast starter would this compensate for the increase size of the batch.

Yes it would. Yeast starters are a must for a lager beer in a cool room or refrigerator. The need for a starter with a ale is less of an issue. The quicker fermentation kicks off the better. There is a "Yeast of choice" thing going on. The more prevalent the yeast the more likely the the "Yeast of choice" will be the one you propagated. You may indeed be better off with a starter for your larger than normal batch of Ale. I have a lager yeast started bubbling away next to me on my desk right now. It is for a 5 gallon batch of Oktoberfest.

Absolutely it would more than compenate. I have used 2 vials of White labs with starters and fermented 15-20 gallons with no issues.

mterm said:
I have been brewing extract batches of beer and have a question about the amount of yeast to pitch. I have a large brew pot and looking to get 6-6.5 gallon batches. I typically use White Labs yeast. White labs says that their vials are for 5 gallon batches. If I were to make a yeast starter would this compensate for the increase size of the batch.

Use http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Plug in your gravity, the volume, and the date on the vial. Then you will know what size starter will get you where you need to be.

Chris

Back