• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Licorice Root

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I am going to brew a licorice stout and the recipe calls for 1 oz of licorice root cut into small pieces in the last 20 min of a 60 minute boil. All I could find at my local brew shop was licorice stick. It's a product from LD Carson and comes in a 0.7 oz stick. Has anyone used this product before. it looks to me to be a concentrated product and I am concerned that if I add the entire stick to the batch it maybe overpowering.

I have not used in it beer but my experience with licorice root is that the sticks are the root.  If they look like sticks then they are almost certainly licorice root.  I have had porters with LD Calrson licorice root.  I think they used .5oz in 5g. It was not too much though I did not care for the beer  :p

I have used Licorice in some stouts.  I have used a product that came in a small bag that looked like dried out ginger root, and I have used the sticky hard candy-like black sticks from LD.  The sticks are far more concentrated and easier to find.  The flavor seemed the same to me.  For the sticks I used a piece about 2 1/2" long and I gave a nice depth and slight hints of licorice to the stout.  I have used it only in sweet stouts and milk stouts.

I have use the LD Carson stick. The first time I used it I broke it in half and threw it in. The darn thing didn't dissolve as I expected it to. I had to crush it against the side of the pot. The second time I used it I crushed it in the coffee mill and threw it in the pot in the last 15 minutes. One stick was plenty for a stout. I had funny tasting coffee too!

Back