• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast reactivated in the secondary

Big B

Brewer
Reaction score
This is my first post, but this forum has been a big help to me.  I searched topics and couldn't find an answer to my question so here it is.

I have a batch of porter in the secondary right now.  I added 2 cans of Oregon Fruit Cherry Puree and 4oz of Dark Baking Chocolate to the carboy and racked the porter on top of that.  The first day or two there wasn't much activity, then it took off, and now two and a half weeks later it is still bubbling away.  Last night it was a bubble every 8 seconds, and today there is a bubble every 13-15 seconds.  Do I just let it ride out until the bubbles have stopped?  My fear is that because I reintroduced so much sugar back into the fermented beer that the alcahol content will get so high that it will kill off my London Ale yeast then I will not have any yeast to carbonate my bottles.  So my question is do I rack it again and hope it settles down, do I bottle it while there are still bubbles coming out, or do I leave it in the secondary until it totally stops and then bottle from the secondary.

I would not recommend bottling while it is still bubbling. 

Others here have more experience with fruit, but I'd let it ride out the new activity, transfer it so you can check gravity, taste it, and get if off the fruit gunk.  If the gravity is what you want, package it then.

If it's really clean and the fruit is safely on the bottom maybe a transfer is not needed if you can siphon off a taste/sample cleanly.

If the porter was average gravity, I doubt the fruit spiked it high enough to kill ale yeast.

If I read your posst correctly you did the followong in the following order:
1.) Performed a primary ferment
2.) Waited till the primary ferment was done
3.) added to an empty carboy:
..........(i) a fairly large amount (2 cans of unstated volume) of some sugary  substance
..........(ii) which included an unknowable quantum of Oxygen
..........(iii)  some chocolate also with an unknown O2 quantum
4.) racked the beer from the primary fermenter onto those items in the carboy.

What  I think you did was this:
by adding those things to the  beer after you thought the primary was done you re initiated a second primary ferment.
Those things introduced an unknown amount of Oxygen to a  beer that should have been depleted and sugars to a beer that should have had it's sugars mostly consumed.

So yah~!!  Of course you re initiated a second primary ferment.
When it's done, rack it off and let the secondary ferment run like normal.

I'd say let it finish active fermentation in the current vessel, give it another week or two and then bottle.

Right on the money!!!  Wait, what?

zhen1827 said:
Yeast that is activated in warm water before it is mixed with the flour and other ingredients to form dough, is the simplest leavening method for preparing yeasted breads. This method, known as the direct or straight yeast method, is the leavening method most familiar with home cooks.

The first step in preparing dough for breads using the direct or straight yeast method is to activate the yeastpandora beads. When using fresh cake yeast or active dry yeast, the yeast must be activated in warm water before it can be added to the flour. The temperature of the water is important for proper activation. If the water is too hot, the yeast (which is a living organism) will die. A temperature of 140ºF is usually sufficient to kill yeast cells. Cool water will decrease the growth of the yeast, but if the water is too cold, the yeast cells will become dormant (usually below 50ºF). The yeast will reactivate once the temperature is increased. The proper water temperature differs depending on the source of the information, but most sources agree that the water should not be cooler than 95ºF or warmer than 115ºF. The temperature can be checked with an instant read thermometer, but if a thermometer is not available, it is better to err on the side of cooler than warmer - using cooler water will not harm the yeast; it simply slows it down. Quick-rising active dry yeast does not have to be activated in warm water prior to use. When mixing the ingredients for dough, it can be blended with the flour and other dry ingredients before the liquid is added.

The temperature of the kitchen or room in which the bread is prepared also affects the activation rate of the yeast. The yeast will activate at a faster rate in a very warm room and a slower rate in a cool room. On the coldest dayspandora charm bracelet, it is beneficial to place the yeast and warm water mixture on top of the preheated oven to keep the yeast at a more constant temperature while it activates. It is important to remember that metal bowls and utensils should not be used to prepare yeast because a reaction may occur between the metal and the yeast. Below are descriptions of how various forms of yeast are activated for use in bread making.

zhen1827 said:
Yeast that is activated in warm water before it is mixed with the flour and other ingredients

Wrong strain of yeast.

he yeast will reactivate once the temperature is increased. The proper water temperature differs depending on the source of the information, but most sources agree that rolex watches the water should not be cooler than 95ºF or warmer than 115ºF. The temperature can be checked with an instant read thermometer, but if a thermometer is not available, it is better to err on the side of cooler than warmer - using cooler water will not harm the yeast; it simply slows it down. Quick-rising active dry yeast does not have to be activated in warm water prior replica watches  to use. When mixing the ingredients for dough, it can be blended with the flour and other dry ingredients before the liquid is added.

I have done a number of fruit beers using canned puree, fruit extract beer flavoring and frozen fruit. From my experience I can say that when this is done fermentation usually does last for a few days to a week more than usual.

If you pitched the fruit and chocolate in the primary and your batch is in secondary you should be fine with letting it ferment out. The act of transferring to secondary can agitate the yeast enough that they continue working.

On the other hand if you pitched the fruit and chocolate at secondary you might have an infection that is causing this extra fermentation.
In either case I would let it peter out then before bottling take a gravity reading and a taste. If it’s what you expected, your golden.

Just my 2 cents, but from what you described it sounds like you tossed the chocolate blocks in the fermentor, racked the wort on it and let it go. In that case I don’t think you will see the chocolate profiles come through. The chocolate should have been melted and sterilized in the wort at flameout or at whirlpool.

Hope this helps.

Back