• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewery lubes

CR

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've investigated (read the MSDS) all the food grade (edible class) lubricants I've seen and every single one (except silicone) is nothing but mineral oil or petroleum jelly on one form of dispenser or another. There are tubes  sprays yadda yadda and they are all the same thing.    And they are all very spendy. 

Petroleum Jelly and Mineral Oil are the same thing,  except the jelly is the High Molecular weight version of mineral oil.

Buy a bottle of mineral oil and a can or tube of petroleum jelly and just keep 'em clean and you will be good to go for all your brewery lube needs.

I don't like silicone lubes because it has electrical properties and the stuff spreads and spreads for pretty much ever.
Place a drop of silicone oil on a surface and it'll eventually spread out till it is a 50 foot diameter coating one molecule thick. Just the thought of that stuff doing that inside me creeps me out.

Lots of other lubes are called "food Grade" but they are not edible.  They are meant for lubrication around food on the machinery where there is a risk of contamination. They usually contain a form of aluminum  or other things that are not  dangerous in small amounts, but you wouldn't want 'em in direct contact with food.

Mineral oil  is edible.

Great information. I agree, the sold food grade lubes are expensive and if mineral oil is the same, it is a no brainer.

Gary

Yea. Can't wait to use up my silicone keg lube. The stuff is nasty to work with, it doesn't wipe off easily --especially if I could just be using petroleum jelly. Maybe I'll just toss that little black container now.

I usually don't like resurrecting old topics, but this one I feel is important.

I work in service engineering for a large bearing manufacturer that sells lubricants.  I'm also a director of the Portland, Oregon chapter of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE).

If straight mineral oil were a good lubricant, then it would be sold as a lubricant for all sliding contact surfaces, but it is not suggested for sliding or rolling contact surfaces, especially when water or other liquids are involved.  You should not replace a "food safe" grease or oil with petroleum (made from fossil oils) or mineral oil.

There are three types of food safe lubricants available. H1, H2 and H3.  Most food safe lubricants have additive packages that allow them to work better than straight mineral oil.  Mineral Oil is easily washed away where water is present.  Additives to the mineral oil base and thickener package will allow the mineral base oil to stay where it is needed when water is present.

Attached is a link that you might find useful.  This should be especially helpful to those of you that have motors and pumps on your brewing systems.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1857/food-grade-lubricants-basics

Scott Ickes said:
There are three types of food safe lubricants available. H1, H2 and H3.  Most food safe lubricants have additive packages that allow them to work better than straight mineral oil.  Mineral Oil is easily washed away where water is present.  Additives to the mineral oil base and thickener package will allow the mineral base oil to stay where it is needed when water is present.

Attached is a link that you might find useful.  This should be especially helpful to those of you that have motors and pumps on your brewing systems.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1857/food-grade-lubricants-basics
I appreciate this reply, and I read the article you linked to. It's a little confusing in terms of what conclusion a consumer should come to for the purposes of home use.

I'm trying to determine the best food grade lubricant to buy to put on the o-rings of my reverse osmosis system and for using generally around the brewery as well. Can you recommend a lubricant? I've mostly seen silicone based lubricants such as Dow Corning 111 recommended. Would that be the way to go? Is there a less expensive alternative that would work as well for my purposes? Thanks.

A tube of high temperature food grade machine lube lasts for years. I have one and use it on keg ball locks and o-rings. Safe for incidental food contact. Although it contains trace amounts of aluminum, I can't see it getting into the beer as it is a solid (grease) and does not dissolve into cold liquid like silicone does.
Just apply a very thin coat to the o-rings. There is a difference between "food grade" and "compatible for food machinery". It is handy for other uses as well- plumbing o-rings, deli-meat slicers, etc.
To me, silicone is a more toxic concern. google silicone toxicity and see. I will never use silicone lube.  CHEERS

Back