• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Home Brew Competitions

B

brewzoo

Hi All,

I have been brewing beer for about 10 years now and have never had anyone but friends taste my beer. It seems like the next logical step is to start entering brews in competitions. Since I have never done this before I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some pointers.

What is the best way to find out about competitions? I am going to attend the next meeting of our local brew club (QUAFF in San Diego). I believe they have competitions within the club and this might be a good place to start.

I know there is a lot to learn when it comes to entering competitions but it sounds like fun and a good way to really hone the brew skills.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

My limited advice...

- Your local brew club is generally the best place to find out about competitions.  Competitions vary from very informal tastings to high stakes formal competition.

- Make sure your beer fits the category you are entering.  If you are entering a competition for dry stouts, for example, make sure you have an authentic dry stout.

- For formal competitions you usually need bottled beers - so be sure to bottle some of your beer and condition it carefully.

- For informal competitions - presentation matters!  So have some fun with it!  In fact, even the formal competitions are designed to have fun - so please don't take anything too seriously!

Cheers!
Brad

- Make sure your beer fits the category you are entering.
Brad, overall good advice. But, I just wanted to comment on this one (which I also agree with). Earlier this year, HBA's BrewBoard had a competition, and I had about 8 beers I was considering entering. What I did was print out the style guidelines for the categories that I thought my beers fit into (I normally don't brew to guidelines), and then a friend and I sat down, sampled the beers, and described them. Then we looked at the guidelines and fit the beers to the categories -- either good fit, adequate fit, or not suitable. I ended up choosing four beers to send in, including one that was fermented as a lager (Classic American Pilsner) in the Light Ale category -- which called for a fruit flavor, which my CAP unfortunately had. Of the four beers I entered, I got five ribbons -- two firsts, one second, one third, and Best of Show (it was my first competition ever). I don't mean to brag here, just to point out that even if you didn't brew a beer to a particular category, an open mind and careful tasting can be your guides.  :)

I agree.  Make sure it fits the catagory you entering.  I sent a Belgian strong that did not really fit.  It scored well overall but did not move onto the next round.  But in the intangable and comments section of score sheet I was off the charts.  But it did not fit style.  That was the AHA competition. ::)

Back