• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Brewers Yeast" Health Food Dead Yeast As Yeast Nutrient

R

Rival

Hi, I have read about people using yeast husks as nutrient in brewing and have a tub of "Brewers Yeast Super Food" in the fridge that the girlfriend got as a nutritional supplement. Under ingredients it says "100% pure brewers yeast (debittered)".

Does anyone know if brewers yeast supplements like this can be used as yeast husks in brewing, or if the debittering process reduces the nutritional value from the dead yeast?

For anyone who is interested it is a 1lb tub of "Now" brand superfood brewers yeast. Here is their page containing nutritional information for it.

Thanks

Any yeast can be used as yeast husks/yeast ghost, but you want to make sure it is dead yeast.

One way to do this is to put yeast (brewers, bakers whatever) into a small amount of boiling water.  This will kill the yeast.  Let that water cool and then pitch that into your brew.

I am only familiar with using yeast husks in mead, wine, and very high gravity beer.  I am not sure how they should be applied in a average gravity beer.

I was asking because I want to add some to my next batch of mead.  What would you recommend me to do for a 1 gal test batch?

I always have an old package of dry yeast around, and I add some of that to the Wyeast nutrient and add to boil at around 10 minutes.  Cheaper than brand-name servomyces. 

I have mainly been thinking of something along the lines of 3 lb honey, 1 packet ec-1118 yeast, 25 raisins, and a yet unknown amount of the dead brewers yeast as nutrient for a 1 gallon test batch. Any input based on past experience with yeast husks would be appreciated since I have never used it before. How much would be a suitable amount for this, and what effect could I expect from it as opposed to no yeast husks, or some other nutrient method?

thanks

You may want to check out the following site.

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=333&Itemid=14

Its "NewBee" guide is pretty darn informative.

Rival said:
Does anyone know if brewers yeast supplements like this can be used as yeast husks in brewing, or if the debittering process reduces the nutritional value from the dead yeast?

I can tell you that if the autolyses compounds get in your beer you may not like the result

Some people like it. I don't know any one who does and I sure don't.

I should think you'd be better off using yeast nutrient.

Back