• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Ale

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Someone asked me about pumpkin ale, and I have brewed one, so here is the recipe.  It's actually the Zymurgy cover article/recipe from a couple Autumn's ago.  The author likes a bigger maltier pumpkin and it turned out just like that. 

My gravity was lower cuz I made a bigger batch to share with a friend. 

Attachments

• Pumpkin.bsm
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,052
What is Aromatic Malt? That's a new one to me. Will it make a noticable difference if I can't find that? --Thanks

A 19 Lov Belgian malt, kilned and toasted for a malty effect.  Roughly between a Munich 10L and Weyermann's Melanoidin.  More dark munich or some melanoidin would be similar if you can't get ARomatic.  Melanoidin will redden the color somewhat.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/belgian-aromatic-malt-1.html

I grew it in garden.  Cut up the pumpkin into cubes without rind, layout on baking sheet, drizzle with brown sugar, bake in oven medium until soft, add to boil long enough to get fully broken up.

If you buy, look for pumpkin bred for eating/baking and not Halloween.

I recently brewed up a batch from this recipe: http://www.kegerators.com/articles/pumpkin-spice-ale.php

I neglected to add spices during the boil however because I intend to create a vodka tincture to add to the secondary.

I intend to add ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, and vanilla bean. I just need to determine the amounts. Any advice on that front?

I don't want the spices to be very subtle but I don't want them to be too overwhelming either...

My best advice would be to go easy on the spices, you can always add later. Especially clove, I use a quarter of what is stated in some recipes.
This was my most recent attempt at pumpkin ale. It tasted like pumpkin pie smoothie before fermenting, and the pumpkin taste faded a little after fermenting but the spice balance was where I liked it. A few days before Thanksgiving I'll check the taste and carbonation to get ready for Turkey Day:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.46 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6.89 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.49 %
0.38 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3.49 %
0.19 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
0.19 lb Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
1.00 oz First Gold [8.20 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - 
0.50 tsp Clove, powdered (Boil 5.0 min) Misc 
1.00 lb Malto-Dextrine (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 
2.00 tsp Ginger, Ground (Boil 5.0 min) Misc 
2.50 lb Pumpkin, Roasted (Mash 60.0 min) Misc 
4.00 tsp Cinnamon, Ground (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) [Starter 125 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Just an update:

Everyone loved it on Thanksgiving. I didn't. I didn't like the strong clove "punch" and may skip adding it next year. However, today (12/15) it keeps getting better. It is freaking awesome now. The clove faded and blended and it was a very smooth pumpkin pie taste. My suggestion would be -- brew this in Late July or August and let it age a few months. If you want pumpkin, you may have to go with canned unless the crop comes in early. I wouldn't be scared to use yams either. Or nothing but just spices.

Great news.  Amazing how beers change over time.  I still have a couple bottles (13 months) and will try one tonight. 

Back