• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kolsch Smell

andrewm806

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of kolsch, but the smell has been the worst out of every batch, considering its going to be a very hoppy Kolsch, the smell is melting paint off the walls. Anyone have a real smelly beer that turned out great?
PS, I consistently clean so i know contamination is no problem and disinfectant is used thoroughly. 

andrewm806 said:
I brewed a batch of kolsch, but the smell has been the worst out of every batch, considering its going to be a very hoppy Kolsch, the smell is melting paint off the walls. Anyone have a real smelly beer that turned out great?
PS, I consistently clean so i know contamination is no problem and disinfectant is used thoroughly. 

Just curious.  Did you use Pilsner malt in the brew and if so how long did you boil?

60 Min, 7lb light malt extract, grain was 1/2lb carastan, 1/2lb crystal, 1lb munich. the smell is slowly starting to subside over the days.

andrewm806 said:
60 Min, 7lb light malt extract, grain was 1/2lb carastan, 1/2lb crystal, 1lb munich. the smell is slowly starting to subside over the days.

The reason I ask is because Pilsner malt generally contains a lot of DMS which is the stuff which can cause a very strong sulfur smell during fermentation.  You can clear the DMS out during the boil by boiling it for 90min and this will in turn limit the amount of sulfur produced by the yeast.  As far as the light extract, is this a Pilsner extract?  I'm unsure if extract producers take steps to limit DMS.

But as for your smell, I never asked what the smell was.  Is it a sulfur smell?  Normally if you allow the beer to sit on the yeast for a week or two this smell will go away.

thats just the answer I needed, there is a big sulfur smell. I would assume that the Light malt extract we used is similar or the same as a pilsner malt extract. If the recipe we are using calls for a 60-90 minutes will this effect my alcohol percentage?

andrewm806 said:
thats just the answer I needed, there is a big sulfur smell. I would assume that the Light malt extract we used is similar or the same as a pilsner malt extract. If the recipe we are using calls for a 60-90 minutes will this effect my alcohol percentage?

Yes, you will arrive at a higher gravity with the extra 30 mins of boil time as well as less wort.  You want to compensate either at the beginning of the boil by adding more water.  Or do as I do after 90 min boils and use the dilution tool in Beersmith and add water after the boil.

Odors aside how does it taste.  I just did my first Kolsch over the weekend and the airlock (which i just smelled) has a nice bready/sazz nose. I haven't tasted it yet but sometimes with beer, nose doesn't follow taste. Just my 2 cents.

cheers

Just as I had hoped, the sulfur smell subsided from the fermenting stage, and now its carbonating, i just took at taste and its phenomenal. Even aroma is right where I want it to be, just 6 more hours and the carbonation will be finished.

Back