• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Feed store grain

You would be getting UNMALTED barley..... useless!

I'm not up to mashing yet but do know that not all barley is the same.  If you just want it on the cheap then go for it.  Barley has all the enzymes needed to malt whether it's two row or four row or horse feed.

I think a better idea is to get together with a couple other home brewers and spilt a 50lb bag of good barley.  You'll get a discount and the good stuff. ;)

Good advise Chas at Tahoe. I was just thinking about it because a friend of mine uses it for his moonshine because it was less expensive. But he uses corn, not barley.

I think a better idea is to get together with a couple other home brewers and spilt a 50lb bag of good barley.

You obviously don't drink enough, or you'd use the whole bag yourself.

Barley from the grain store is unmalted - if you go to the BeerSmith blog and search for "Malting" you will find a post from a few months ago on how to malt your grains.  Its not a simple process to do at home, but it can be done.

After you malt it, it still needs to be mashed (like the grains you get from your brewing store).

Brad

Back