• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

no activity

W

wwbrew

So I brewed a porter yesterday (all grain) and when I started the process I activated the Wyeast package. I didn't notice any bloating of the package after I popped the inner bag, even when I was ready to pitch. When the wort was chilled to 65-70F I pitched the yeast and now 24 hours later there is no activity in the fermenter. Even the float in the air lock hasn't moved up as it does when gas has blown by it.

So do I need to pitch some new yeast, or should I wait a while longer and see what happens?

Is it a lager or ale yeast? I assume it is ale. Your fermenter may be leaking, So what? or you may have a yeast that's past due? If your yeast was old I would expect a free yeast from whomever sold it to you. don't worry. A good yeast may take a day or two. If you don't see any activity try in a lager yeast, http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast?yst_style=101?yst_format=97
lager or for a ale try http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast?yst_style=101

Well, still waiting for some sign that the yeast is working. Nothing yet. The yeast is Wyeast Labs #1056 American Ale. Not sure if it was expired yeast, the package is thrown out. The fermenter is being stored at 64 degrees. I'll wait another day I guess before I really get worried.

If you're pushing 48+ hours with nothing happening, I'd recommend a dry yeast, properly proofed.  S-05 is the same yeast strain, and Nottingham would yield similar results. 

I looked in the bucket yesterday and saw a few floating bubbles on top, so I waited another day to see if it was beginning to start.

Today has been three days and there is just a little bit of activity coming out of the airlock. Burps every three minutes or so.

Should the yeast that is starting to activate grow enough to finish the fermentation? What would happen to the taste of the beer if I added more yeast to it?

I had a lag of about 72 hours once.  It was my fault.  I pitched the yeast while the wort was a bit too cold from the counterflo. 
If that's the case, you may still be fine.

4 days in and the brew is doing nicely now. Not sure what the delay was since that has never happened before. I appreciate the suggestions and help you have given me. Now all I have to do is see how it turns out  :).

Back