• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cardamom seeds - any info ?

J

jwhite751

I recently found a stout recipe that listed cardamom seeds in the ingrediants. It stated that it adds a cola-like flavor. I dont see it listed in Beer Smith and would like to know if anyone has used this and with what results.

Apparently they are a seed used widely in Indian cooking for a spice/aroma.  As you mention they do add a cola flavor and are apparently popular for some Belgian styles, often with Coriander and Bitter Orange peel.

I have not used them, but you could easily add them to your MISC ingredients list.

If you do brew with them let us know how it turns out!

Cheers,
Brad

i do know that when cardammon and coriander and a few other spices get together with some alcohol, they produce a third effect (besides the spice and alcohol one).  do some research on it and you will find the chemical break down that happens.  i used to have it on file, but i lost it.  real interesting stuff those spices be...

While I've never used cardomom seeds (or powder), I've read that you can easily over-do it.  And it really makes a difference if you use the whole pods vs. crushed or powdered.  Apparently a little goes a long way.

Sorry I don't have any specific amounts, but I'm sure if you searched a bit you'll find some recipes.

FYI
Am in the process of researching cardamon. I have found that they come in pods, seeds and powder form.
They are also white, green, and black. I havent found any info about using the pods in beer but have found several references to using whole seeds. As prev. stated everything I have read said to use sparingly. I had an American Ale ready to bottle so I am experimenting with the powder form. I made a concentrated tea and added a small amount to several bottles to see what effect it has. I will post results. I also added some of the tea to an ale I was drinking, saying it had a cola taste would be very generous. It is somewhat peppery with just a hint of cola. I'm glad I didnt use it in a whole batch but I will continue to experiment with it if I can get it in seed form

Only brew where I have used cardamom seeds is in a dubbel, strong belgian ale with mixed results. Those that taste it either love it or hate it. I brew this around the holiday season just to offer a beer with spice as an alternative to traditional holiday spice flavored spirits.

I use 1/2 tsp of whole seeds in the last 5 minutes of the boil.  In addition to the cardamom I also add 1/2 tsp of whole cloves after the boil and allow them to steep for 15 minutes while wort is cooling, so it is difficult to tell if the entire spice taste/smell is due to one or the other, or both. You will have to decide for yourself if the spice flavor that it adds is to your taste. It fits mine, but not for an every day brew.

Good luck, U.J.

Back