• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scale Recpie

M

Mohawk_Brewing

Brad,  Have a 31 gal recpie for a Schwarzbier... but not the equipment, so I put in the data, and then selected Scale Recpie and chose my equipment.. it worked fine, it seems.. Later I wanted to change the size back as I was going to see other equipment options and it would not do it again.. Exited the program and tried again.. well it scaled down the modified amount, but I can no get it to go larger.. I even made a profile for a 31 gal bb.. but nothing happens... what am I doing wrong? :-[
TIA

Thanks for the question!

I'm just guessing here, but there is a significant difference between using the "Scale Recipe" command on the actions menu and just changing the equipment settings for a recipe.

If you change equipment settings for a recipe using the "Choose" or "Details" button while editing the recipe then BeerSmith does not attempt to scale the recipe, but only changes the equipment settings (and related mash water data) -- it  leaves the ingredients as they are.

On the other hand if you use the "Scale Recipe" command on the "Actions" menu and then select a new equipment setting from that dialog ALL of the ingredients get scaled to fit the new batch size.

It sounds like you are trying to do the latter, so you need to select the "Scale Recipe" command (from either the Actions menu or on the toolbar) and then change the equipment settings from within the scale recipe dialog.

Let me know if this works out for you!

Cheers!
Brad

:-/

Nope that did not change it either...maybe this is a phone call from me to you.. but I used the action item Scale Recipe and several other combinations to try ... also noted that the color changed until I went in and opened each ingredent.. Still can not go from 5 gal to even the 15 gal brew tree you have in there...

Follow up...

Ed was nice enough to spend some time on the phone with me this evening.  We did narrow down the problem.

There is a bug if you open a recipe and then scale it (with the "Scale Recipe Command") and change the equipment settings on that dialog -- the new name of the equipment chosen does not get put in the recipe after you scale the recipe.  It appears the recipe is scaled but the equipment name does not change.

Fortunately there is also a VERY SIMPLE WORK-AROUND.  If you use the "Scale Recipe" command from the "My Recipes" view without opening the recipe first it works just fine.  I recommend this work-around if you happen to be scaling recipes to different equipment settings.

We will have the fix out in the very next release.

Cheers!
Brad

Another follow up...
 This bug is corrected in version 1.2 which is in testing and will be available in October.  The upgrade is free to all registered users.

For more see:

http://www.beersmith.com/whats_new_in_1_2.htm

Cheers!
Brad

Back