Author Topic: Beer's shelf life  (Read 5182 times)

Dannken

Beer's shelf life
« on: May 31, 2004, 09:20:38 AM »
Hello, I wanna know how can I calculate my home made beer´s shelf life
or if there´s a specific time. I hope u can Help me.
Best regards.

jwhite751

Re: Beer's shelf life
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 10:22:43 AM »
i dont know of any calculation you can do but  with bottle conditioned beer I have kept mine over 6 months and it was still very good. The one thing I would recommed is that after a couple of months you may want to refrigerate it as it will keep changing if left at room temp.

Offline ibrewalot

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 03:19:41 PM »
It'll depend on the alcohol content and the type of hops...the  higher alcohol and the higher alpha in the hops (they're a preservative of sorts) the longer it'll last.  I had a barley wine that was high hops and 8.4% ABV that was great even 3 years later.  Fortunately, homebrew doesn't ever seem to be around long enuf to go bad!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 03:34:42 PM »
Bottled beer can last over a year if everything is properly sanitized and you store it properly.  Naturally its better to store it cold, and out of sunlight.  I've tasted several great brews over a year old.  If you are going to store it a long time, oxygen absorbing caps might help.

Kegged beer can be stored longer - largely because it is stored with pressurized CO2 (no air to oxidize it) and also no light inside the keg.  I have one on tap now that is about 1-1/2 years old and it tastes great.

Quite a few variables enter into the age equation - oxidization, sunlight, temperature, degree of starch conversion (which affects taste stability), alcohol content (higher will last longer), hop level (more hops helps preserve the beer), carbonation level and others.

Cheers!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

modification