• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Would anybody really know?

B

BigD

Ok, big question here for all of you experts. Is there really any difference in the flavor between US 2row and the others? Is there much difference between a pilsner and a 2 row? Since I am not about to buy 50lb sacks of everything, I am subbing US 2 row for German pilsner, do you think anybody would really know? I am Brewing a Negra Modelo clone, it has Vienna, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, won't they cover any little difference anyway?

David,
 There is a difference between the base malts - though it is subtle.  German malts, UK malts and US malts all go through slightly different procedures and leave various palates in the finished beer.

However, these differences are only really noticable in a few beer styles, and even then the average layman would probably not notice it at all.  For the style you propose I think you will be just fine.

BTW - I usually use a good bulk US or UK base malt for most of my beers.  Only on rare occasions where I really need a distinct base malt will I go and purchase that separately.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks, I needed a second opinion! i know that there is a difference, but with al the specialty grains, it just seemed to me it wouldn't matter. I am ona budget, so I buy my base 2 row in bulk, then the specialty grains don't add much, I would hate to think I woud need that many different grains, again, thanks

David

I agree with Brad.  The only time the exact match is really necessary is if you are into exact replicas.  For the beers most of us make a near miss is fine.  IMHO it may be more important to use the correct yeast than the precise malt.
Van  

Thanks again, that is what I was thinking, I am using a whitelabs Mexican Lager yeast, where the clone shows who knows what. I have acccidentally brewed things that asted better than the original! anyway, thanks guys!

David

Back