• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Difference between full and mid strength beer

G

Greg Purvis

Hi, my name is Greg, im doing an assignment for UNiversity, and i need to know the difference between full and mid strength beer, that is brewed commercially

if u can help, please email me asap, i need it within 24 hours

Cheers Greg

Greg,
  It depends on what you are referring to:

"Full strength" could refer to regular alcohol content beers versus the milder "lower alcohol" versions sold in some states.  The difference here is usually a slightly lower starting gravity which results in a lower overall alcohol content.  The same can also be achieved by (Oh No!) watering down the finished beer.

On the other hand "full strength" could be full bodied beer which is made with all malt (no rice, corn or other adjuncts) and usually uses some caramel malt or darker malts for body.  Light body beers might have a high percentage of rice or corn and are highly fermented to create a very light body.

Cheers!
Brad

Back