• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calendar Question

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
When adding a recipe in Beersmith how do you get it not to show on the calendar until you are ready to brew. You can not delete the brew date from the recipe view.  ???

mterm said:
When adding a recipe in Beersmith how do you get it not to show on the calendar until you are ready to brew. You can not delete the brew date from the recipe view.  ???

I don't use the calendar hardly at all anymore.  But when I did I performed all my recipe planning activities about a year further out.  Then when wanting to brew I would change the date.

ie...I would set up my recipes for January 2011.

The calendar is tied to the "date field" in BeerSmith. I set all my dates to 01/01/01, then when Im ready to brew I change the date to the brew date. I also never change a recipe once I have brewed it. This effectively creates a brew log of every beer made, and you can sort all you beers chronologically.

Cheers
Preston

In the folder "My Recipes" I added a new sub folder called "Planning" which is the same level as "Brew Log".  In my settings, I have the calendar only look at the "Brew Log" folder. I do all my recipe prep in "Planning" and only drag the recipe file to the "Brew Log" folder when I brew it. That keeps my calendar only looking at recipes that are actually in session so to speak.  Just for giggles & Grins, I also have a recipe folder "Downloads" in which I import or download recipes too. Here again, if I actually brew it, I drag it to the "Brew Log" folder on brew day.

I re-read what I wrote and I don't think I did a good job explaining the directory structure. The structure of the "My Recipes" folder is below;

My Recipes
    Brew Log
    Downloads
          All Grain
          Extract
          Partial Mash
    Planning
          All Grain
          Extract
          Partial Mash
    Past Season Brews
          Brews 0809
          Brews 0707

In SETTINGS, the calender only looks at "Brew Log" and does not show AGEING. This keeps it clean for only current brew season activity. The same is true for "Brew Log". It only holds recipes of brews for the current season. I do my brain storming in one of the "Planning" Sub-folders. This makes them easy to find by brew type.  When I'm ready to brew it, I drag it to "Brew Log"  at the end of the season, I create another sub-folder in "Past Season Brews" and drag the contents of "Brew Log" to the new Past Season sub-folder.

If I decide to re-brew a past brew or brew a recipe that was downloaded, I "Duplicate" that recipe in its current folder and drag the "Copy Of ..." to the appropriate "Planning" sub-folder. There I make changes for "My Equipment", My Mash" and substitute locally available ingredients.  I usually change the name from "Copy of ..." to either a new name or the old name with some identifier to indicate an iteration.

Clear as mud ............ right???

Pirate Point Brewer,
It is clear to me. It looks like a good structure to keep your recipes organized I will give you directory structure a try. Thanks for the help.

Back