• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Red Ale

D

Dannken

Hi to everyone, I hope u can help me with this doubt, I wanna make a Red Ale and for doing that i found out a recipe:
3 kg pale malt
0.5kg crystal malt and 28 gr of roasted barley
I wanna know if I have to mash both crystal malt and roasted barley, I read that roasted grains change the mash pH and alfa and beta amilase cant work in the right environment, another thing, I wait for ur help.Prost to everyone

I think you are in the ball park on this one.  You will need some hops of course  ;)

I would recommend mashing everything together since you are doing an all grain.  I mash large amounts of roast barley in my stout with no ill effect on conversion, and 28 gr certainly won't hurt your conversion either.

Cheers!
Brad

Speaking of Red Ales, what specialty grains are good for a red color besides roasted barley?  How about Victory?
Van

I'm not sure that Victory will give you the reddish hue you are looking for.  I would probably stick with a small amount of roasted barley.

Cheers
Brad

The last Red Ale that I built, besides the 2-row, I used 1 pound of Crystal 40L, and 2oz of Black Patent and it turned out awesome! Great color and when served at 54 degrees the flavors did a dance in your mouth.

U.J.

Got the recipe available and willing to share?  A red ale is on my list, though down the road a bit.

Ricky

I am still trying to figure out alternatives for the red color.  I have been told Special roast, Victory, and Roasted Barley.  Anyone have comments or other suggestions?  What gives the best RED color?
Van

Personally, I think a small amount of Belgian Special B makes for nice red coloration. Probably no more than 3-4 oz, as it's somewhere in the 180L department (I think...).

Plus, I really like the taste of Special B... go figure  8)

Back