Author Topic: Red Ale  (Read 5399 times)

Dannken

Red Ale
« on: May 10, 2004, 06:50:23 AM »
Hi to everyone, I hope u can help me with this doubt, I wanna make a Red Ale and for doing that i found out a recipe:
3 kg pale malt
0.5kg crystal malt and 28 gr of roasted barley
I wanna know if I have to mash both crystal malt and roasted barley, I read that roasted grains change the mash pH and alfa and beta amilase cant work in the right environment, another thing, I wait for ur help.Prost to everyone

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Red Ale
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 11:01:11 AM »

I think you are in the ball park on this one.  You will need some hops of course  ;)

I would recommend mashing everything together since you are doing an all grain.  I mash large amounts of roast barley in my stout with no ill effect on conversion, and 28 gr certainly won't hurt your conversion either.

Cheers!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Van Delhotal

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 12:44:31 PM »
Speaking of Red Ales, what specialty grains are good for a red color besides roasted barley?  How about Victory?
Van

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 01:37:40 PM »
I'm not sure that Victory will give you the reddish hue you are looking for.  I would probably stick with a small amount of roasted barley.

Cheers
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

unclejack

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 04:06:07 AM »
The last Red Ale that I built, besides the 2-row, I used 1 pound of Crystal 40L, and 2oz of Black Patent and it turned out awesome! Great color and when served at 54 degrees the flavors did a dance in your mouth.

U.J.

Ricky

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 01:22:38 PM »
Got the recipe available and willing to share?  A red ale is on my list, though down the road a bit.

Ricky

unclejack

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 11:04:05 AM »
It's on the way Ricky.

U.J.

delhotal

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 05:02:25 PM »
I am still trying to figure out alternatives for the red color.  I have been told Special roast, Victory, and Roasted Barley.  Anyone have comments or other suggestions?  What gives the best RED color?
Van

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 02:03:22 AM »
Personally, I think a small amount of Belgian Special B makes for nice red coloration. Probably no more than 3-4 oz, as it's somewhere in the 180L department (I think...).

Plus, I really like the taste of Special B... go figure  8)

modification