• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

what hops to use?

S

schlemoc

this is kind of a hybrid question, but i decided i would post it up on the beersmith forums instead of my wine forums because beer makers have more experience with hops.  i am making what is called a tea wine.  it is pretty much liptons tea turned into wine.  i'm hoping it will be like an iced tea but stronger when it is done and chilled.  i had an idea about adding hops to a gallon while it is sitting to rack.  any ideas what type of hop i should add?  thanks!

i just picked up some saaz hops pellets.  leave me know what you think of them.  if they aren't good enough, i'll add them to the batch of beer i got going.  thanks.

Saaz should be fine - it is a mild, floral hops and a noble hops so it is perfectly fine for this use.

Just about any aroma hops is fine depending on what taste profile you are shooting for.

Cheers!
Brad

Saaz should be fine - it is a mild, floral hops and a noble hops so it is perfectly fine for this use.

Just about any aroma hops is fine depending on what taste profile you are shooting for.

Cheers!
Brad

thank you.  now i just need to leave the primary fermentation end, and then add some in.   ;D  i'll be sure to say how it turns out.  hopefully really good.  thanks again.

about how much should i add to a gallon of wine?  any ideas on this?  thanks!

I would probably add 1/2 oz or so at most.  Of course it depends on how much aroma you are shooting for -- some people use large quantities of dry hops for hoppy beers.

Cheers!
Brad

i just racked it again in the secondary to clear it up some.  wow does it taste good.  the hops add a real nice touch to the wine.  thanks!

Back