• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun In The Cold

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'd like to brew this weekend but the ND winter is upon us as our highs are now in the single digits and lows are now below zero.  I've been brewing in the garage to this point but even the insulated garage is now a bit chili.  I also cover my mash turn (70 qt Coleman Cooler) with a couple of sheets and a sleeping bag to help keep the heat in but I'm wondering if I should maybe just bring the whole thing inside and mash indoors? 

Thoughts

I brew indoors (gas stove) so I can watch movies while the mash is sitting...

Wildrover said:
I'd like to brew this weekend but the ND winter is upon us as our highs are now in the single digits and lows are now below zero.  I've been brewing in the garage to this point but even the insulated garage is now a bit chili.  I also cover my mash turn (70 qt Coleman Cooler) with a couple of sheets and a sleeping bag to help keep the heat in but I'm wondering if I should maybe just bring the whole thing inside and mash indoors? 

Thoughts

I also use a coleman 70qt.  I will begin bringing it inside to mash.  Or, I will scale down and use my smaller one for the winter.

Also, pick up some of that blue somewhat hard insulation board.  They are about 3"s thick.  Then, cut a couple sections so that they will fit into the cooler just above the mash.  They will reduce the head space in your cooler.

Rep said:
Wildrover said:

Thoughts

I also use a coleman 70qt.  I will begin bringing it inside to mash.  Or, I will scale down and use my smaller one for the winter.

Also, pick up some of that blue somewhat hard insulation board.  They are about 3"s thick.  Then, cut a couple sections so that they will fit into the cooler just above the mash.  They will reduce the head space in your cooler.

This sounds interesting, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about though, got any pictures of this?

I don't have any pictures.

let's see.  The blue insulation is a rigid styrofoam.  It comes in 4 X 8' sheets and is used to insulate the outside of buildings.  Your local lumber yard may have some broken pieces you can get cheap.

Cut it to fit the opening of your cooler.  Then set that piece on top of your mash.  It will take up some of that dead space in your cooler and slow down heat loss.

Is this a better explanation?

Yep, I'm guessing if I take my non DIY self into the hardware store and ask them about this stuff they'll know what I'm talking about?

Wildrover said:
Yep, I'm guessing if I take my non DIY self into the hardware store and ask them about this stuff they'll know what I'm talking about?

You and I then must form a club.  I also am not much of a DIYer, but find that this hobby provides me with experience in that realm.

Given I am a politician, rather than a club, how about special interest goup?  ;D

Hardware store maybe, more likely though would be a lumber yard.  Go in and ask them what kind of ridged insulation board do they have.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Insulation-Sheathings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh9Zbaxx/h_d2/Navigation?&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

I got lucky and found a remmant piece in the scrap cart at Home Depot for $2 that supplied the pieces I needed.  I use one inside to cover grains/reduce head space, and use circles of it on top of the Polarware pots I use. 

A friend is giving me some insulated bags to use like your sleeping bags this Saturday. 

To answer your question, if you can mash inside, it will certainly make keeping a steady temp easier and reduce your time spent outside in the bitter cold. 

It certainly seems smart, just haul the mt in.  But usually, I am drinking and shooting the shit or listening to music having man time. If I go in who knows what might happen-hanging bracket shelves, watching 90210, looking at some present swmbo bought... Too risky!  I can always clean up the brewery to stay busy.

Back