• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle Conditioning a Lager

C

C.L.

I brewed a high gravity German Lager and plan on bottle condiontioning after a 10 week secondary fermentation at 32-34 degrees.  Am I going to have to repitch more yeast when I bottle?  What have been other people's experiences bottling lagers?  If I do repitch more yeast at bottling does that change the characteristics  of the final product?  Thanks

I routinely bottle condition my lagers.  After the secondary fermentation and clarification (I use gelatin), I bottle using corn sugar.  I've never had to re-pitch yeast, even after 60 day settling periods at 33 degrees.  I then condition the bottles at the temperature used for the primary fermentation for 2-3 weeks before gradually reducing the temperature back to 33 degrees for lagering.  I taste the beer after three weeks in the bottle (before reducing temperature).  Depending on the yeast used, you will most likely notice an increase in diacetyl due to the bottle fermentation.  If this is the case, I will warm the bottles slightly for a couple of days and then slowly return to lagering temperature.  This procedure leads to crystal clear, diacetyl free, beautifully conditioned lagers.

CL,
 I don't brew a lot of lagers, but those that I have brewed I saw no reason to repitch.  All came out fine.

Most lager yeasts will survive at relatively low temperatures and should revive with a bit of priming sugar.

Cheers!
Brad

Back