• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oak Flavor

U

unclejack

I like the hint of oak in some of my brews but have always been a bit leery about making the addition of chips late in the secondary fermenter . . . I know it is safe but. An old friend shared one of his tips and I though I would pass it along since it has worked well for me.

Just before the end of your boil heat 2 cups of water and add your oak chips. Bring to a boil for at least 10 minutes. After you shut down your wort boil, strain the chips off leaving an "oak tea". Add the tea to the cooling wort, pitch your yeast and ferment as usual. The oak flavor is just right for me and it is one less thing to do in the days before bottling.

Enjoy a cold one, U.J.

Very interesting idea!

I've always thought you needed to age the beer with the chips to bring out the flavor, but this might work just as well!

Cheers!
Brad

what kind of beers do you use oak chips in?  and what kind of flavor does it provide?  i saw it in the store and was tempted to get a bag, but decided against it since i had no idea how it would work.

I really like the falvor in my IPA's. The oak seems to add just the right touch to the dryness of a normal IPA.

Just as a test I have added oak tea to a California Common that is in prmary ferment as we speak.  I will let you know how it turns out.

U.J.

I used 4 ounces of oak chips in a porter I recently made.  I added them to the secondary after steaming them for 15 min.  It turned out great.  

I understand oak is good because it interacts with the yeast, and is a good clarifier.  I have also heard that you can toast oak in the oven which will give additional flavor.

I have been thinking about adding oak to a Maple Sap Brown Ale (with home grown hops, last years) once I put it in the secondary. Be interestin to see what happens. though I may draw of a gallon for that little experiment.  ::)

Back