• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Raw sugar

A

Adamsale

I have just purchased Beersmith and am wanting to put in some raw sugar. but cannot find that in the software or it is called something different. please help. :eek:
Also to stop fermenting at 1020 say for a sweet mead, do i rack off to an other vessel then bottle or just bottle.?? obviously without the priming sugar.

There are a few types. Demerara turbinado are cane sugar.  I think one of them is listed.  I used it's values to create an adjunct profile for jaggery which is indian palm sugar that is popping up in micros now. I am still getting my first batches carbed, but it gives dry higher abv with smooth texture.  Wouldn't you be concerned with honey in meads?

Adamsale said:
Also to stop fermenting at 1020 say for a sweet mead, do i rack off to an other vessel then bottle or just bottle.?? obviously without the priming sugar.t
There are a couple things you can do to stop yeast.
1. Cold crash the mead. However if the mead ever warms back up there is a possibility that it will start fermenting again.
2. Use a filtering system that will filter down below 1 micron. This usually works, however it can be expensive depending on what system you use. Large brewery's use plate systems, and I have heard of people using home water filtration canisters also.
3. Potassium Sorbate is what I use. You can get it at most home brew stores that also have wine supplies. This will kill off any yeasts that are present in the mead. However if you add it during fermentation the yeast wont have time to clean up after themselves. Which may cause issues/off flavors in your mead. What I do is let it finish out, add the potassium sorbate, wait for a week transfer to secondary, and add sugar or more honey (Boiled of course) to make it what I want.

Cheers
Preston

Back