• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter problem

D

Dee1963

Hello, a friend of mine gave me an extract kit as a gift not knowing anything about brewing. I didn't have the heart to let them know it needed a yeast starter. My question is how do I make a starter w/out all of the extra equipment. I have never used a starter but I am positive I need one for this kit. It's OG will be 1.085. Can anyone please give me some ideas.
Thank you in advance.

Are you using dry or liquid yeast?  Starters are not recommended with dry - just use two packages of fresh dry yeast.  

If liquid, some people make starters in a growler or 1-gallon apple juice jug, etc.  Use DME to make a THREE quart (liter) batch of ~1.040 wort.  Pitch yeast on starter wort about five days in advance.  It should ferm out in 36 hours, and when done, cool it to ~55F so the yeast settle out.  When ready to pitch, decant the old wort and pitch just the slurry.  Or buy THREE liquid packs/tubes.  

EDIT:  I entered 5.25 gallons of 1.085 ale at MrMalty.com's yeast calculator, and it said a 3L starter with two liquid packages, so this is clearly a case where using dry yeast would be easier if you are newer to starters and don't want the hassle.  If your kit is a "yeast neutral" style you could use a dry yeast.  Because of the high OG of 1.085, I'd recommend rehydrating the yeast per mfr's instructions to maximize viability.

I agree w/ Maltlicker... The yeast starter may or may not be necessary, but he has explained better than I can on ho to preform the task.
Whatever you do, DO NOT make a glucose yeast starter.... This can kick the yeast into an overdrive state once you pitch it and you may end up w/ a day of fierce activity followed by a stunted growth after the glucose has been consumed...
I personally do not use starters unless my OG is extremely high, but rather just let the yeast grow on its own chord, just as I do w/ my heavy wines. I hope the brewmasters can appreciate my choice in doing this.
If you wish to make a starter, use DME and keep the OG at a med. Level as maltlicker says between 1.030 and 1.040. It is not rocket science. A couple to few days of Yeast spawning will kick off your wort into a frenzy. If you are in a pickle, just pitch some extra yeast... you'll have great success. SALUTE!

I spoke to Northern Brewers where the kit was bought from and he told me to just use 2 of the wyeast smack packs and I should be just fine. We will see how it turns out. I am a very positive person so I have a feeling it will be great.

Back