• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Second Running?

B

bbush42

Hello, I’m preparing for my first all grain brew and we wandering about brewing a second beer from the second running.  I am going to brew a stout (5 gallon batch) with a target OG 1.077.   Will I be able to brew a second beer, like a porter, by using the second runnings?  I was thinking that the OG would be low doing this approach; so would it be possible to approach the second runnings as a partial mash using some LME to bring the gravity up?

The answer is that most likely yes you will be able to get a beer from the second runnings.  

I have not done the math recently but if you do a search on google.com for the words "party gyle brewing" you will find quite a few references.  This is the "classic" term for brewing several beers from different runnings of the same mash.

Cheers!
Brad

Back