Author Topic: "fun yeast"  (Read 13370 times)

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: "fun yeast"
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
That's a great worksheet!

Thanks for sharing it. Guess 2# was overkill! lol

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

dhaenerbrewer

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »
Yeah 2# is a lot. And BTW, I have the unit "grains" on there because I use a reloading scale (gun powder) to weigh out my hops and other things that are really light weight.

Darin

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: "fun with yeast"
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 06:33:01 AM »
I have been looking at using Chlorine dioxide to clean the yeast and kill any bacteria prior to putting them in storage. Originally I started down this path when I was just doing yeast washing, but revived my thoughts on it for slants. What do you think, and do you use any cleaners prior to storage? BSI sells a kit for $30 I think. For the small amount of yeast I am working with, it should last a long time!

Cheers
Preston
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:35:32 AM by UselessBrewing »
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

dhaenerbrewer

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
Preston -

I've never actually cleaned my yeast before storage. Plating and selecting colonies should accomplish the same thing. It looks to me from reading the description, that kit is more for when you want to store the yeast full strength for an extended period of time. Contact David Bryant; brewingyeast@hotmail.com . He is the co-founder of BSI and a great guy, with a WEALTH of knowledge about brewing yeast. He makes me feel dumb when I talk to him about yeast.

Darin

modification