• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Malt Beer

C

cj_in_j

Has anyone made a single-malt beer? I just made a single-malt pale ale using only Crisp Maris Otter. I transferred last night and it showed great potential. I mashed in the upper 150s, so the beer didn't ferment down too low, but it's going to be a nice dry beer. I used Crystal hops, which I think are very similar to Liberty or Mt Hood (maybe closer to Mt Hood), which makes it very different from my usual pale ales (west coast style, lots of citrusy hops) -- but this is going to be a good one.

I just ordered a sack of Munich malt, and will probably make another single-malt pale with Munich only. Can't wait! ;D

Hi CJ
I have made several single malt beers. Pale malt and hallertau hops, it is surprising the malty flavour you can obtain from just the base malt.
Brewing this way really encourages you to be more carefull with your mash and fermentation procedures.
And this is when your yeast selection can really shine through. Can you share the recipe?

Regards
Andrew

Pale malt and Hallertauer -- sounds similar to mine. I wanted something less "in your face" than my usual combination of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial -- and I think it worked.

I don't want to post the recipe until I get a chance to taste the finished beer. I'm very optimistic, but I'm also careful. Give me a week -- and if I forget, remind me!

Sounds very interesting!  I've been wanting to try a single malt Kolsch for some time.  I need to get some very light malt first.  After a great experience with the Alt (same yeast which I have a sample of now) I may just give it a try!

This weekend may be a good time to brew - weather looks acceptable!

Cheers
Brad

Sounds very interesting!  I've been wanting to try a single malt Kolsch for some time.  I need to get some very light malt first.
Why wait for some very light malt? I use Crisp Maris Otter for all my beers, even a nice pale blonde pilsner that I just made. The only other ingredient used was flaked maize, and it was very nice at transfer -- tomorrow is "testing" day.  ;) I would recommend using a maltier base malt, like Maris Otter, rather than go with something just because it's really light.

Why wait for some very light malt? I use Crisp Maris Otter for all my beers, even a nice pale blonde pilsner that I just made.

Well,
From what I have read about Kolsch it is intended to be brewed from the very lightest of pilsner malts.  I figured since the malt is the dominant ingredient it might be worthwhile to try to be as authentic as possible.

As you point out, it might not make much of a real difference in practice, but I thought I would give it a try.

Cheers!
Brad

Well, the single-malt pale ale is drinkable. It's very interesting, a bit sweet but with a Hallertauer-ish hop flavor and aroma -- I finished with Crystal, so that's why. The body is a bit thin, but overall it's a good beer. I'm making another one, but this time the single-malt will be Munich -- I'm out of pale malt and the importer won't have any in until early next month, by the looks of things.  :-[

I made a single malt IPA 2 weeks ago.

I used Bairds Maris Otter, 120grams of Challenger hops and Nottingham Ale yeast.

OG 1068
FG 1010
IBU's 50

Taste's great out of the secondary ;D

I love Challenger hops, really fruity!

C&B
TDA

I was thinking about doing this too. Anyone know where i can get Golden Promise malt??

Lee

Hi, little intro first as iam a brand new beersmith user.
Been using promash for 18months and pen and paper with a calculator for the year i brewed before that.
Anyway iam from a town iam sure most of you  have heard of by now and thats Adelaide South Australia.
Most of the malt i'll list here are aussie malts

Anyway i have done a version of your insane IPA cj and it is one hell of a beer, Thanx for the inspiration.

Back to single malt beers, i have done more than i can remember.
The last one was all vienna malt, all santium, the one before was all barret burstons pale ale malt with a small simcoe addition.
Also i have done a all JWM pilsner malt and crystal hops brew.
I found the crystal hops a little to perfume like and not enough spice for me.
Another few i have done is all IMC ale malt with pride of ringworm and a all JWM traditional ale malt with all cascade and a all TF Marris otter with EKG.
I have also done the SSOS with just 8kg of bairds M.O
The first one i ever did was a all mega lager malt AMC pale malt with all hallertau.
All the beers where great. I find these beers a good way to get to know new malts and hops at the same time as making wicked session beers. I ussually make them at 1.045.
Next one will be a all IMC munich malt brew with all hersbrucker.

So i think i have done about 8 single malt brews all up so far.

Cheers Jayse

Back