• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reinstalling with a New Computer

R

Rudeboy

Planning on getting a whole new computer. Wondering what the best way is to reinstall BeerSmith on it. Obviously I want to keep my recipes and BeerLog.  Can I just copy the whole folder to a temp drive and paste it in the HD of the new computer?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Hi,
  I recommend making a full backup copy of your C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory on your old computer just to be safe.

Next do a clean install of the latest version on your new computer and then you can either import and merge, or just open and copy/paste from the files from your backup that you want retained.  The main file is Recipes.bsm, but if you want other ingredients they are in Hops.bsm, Grain.bsm, etc... in the old main directory.

Cheers,
Brad

I have a question in the same vein.  I have Beersmith installed on my laptop and desktop.  What I'd like is to be able to set Beersmith to read/write its .bsm (and any other configuration) files to/from my flash drive.  That would make it much easier to move between systems.

Is there a way to change the location used for the files?

Thanks,

-Joe

Joe,
  I believe some people have successfully installed the program directly to the flash drive and then run it from there.  It does not work in all cases (I know at least a few people had probs with flash drive speed/preview files), but a number of people are doing it successfully.

Brad

I have BeerSmith installed on my two laptops. I want to remove one of those programs and reinstall it on my new PC. The install from BeerSmith is no problem but when I try to copy over .bsm files the toolbar icons go to grey and cannot be opened. I am aware that the license only allows for two of the program to be used by the one client and there is obviously something in the program that identifies if a client is trying to use additional copies and blocks them. I only want to swap the program from one computer to the other. My current files are on Vista and I am transferring to XP.

Any ideas??

Cheers, Hoges.

Back