• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another import question

prrriiide

Apprentice
Reaction score
I searched through the archive, but I don't see anything directly pertaining to my problem.

I had an ancient HP ProBook running Win7. I have used BS 2 on it for years, but the computer finally has pretty much given up the ghost. It got so bad that BS2 would no longer open, and I had to use the iPad for brew sessions the last 2 times. I now have a MacBook Air with BS3 Commercial downloaded.

I was finally able to get BS2 to open somehow, but couldn't export my recipes. So I went into the program files and found a file that is the recipe library. I double clicked it and it opened in BS2 with the library intact, so I know that it's the right file. I moved that file onto a thumb drive, then from there onto the Mac.

Now, I can't figure out how to import that file into BS3. It's parked on my desktop, and when I use the "open file" command, I get an error message that tells me nothing (image).

Now, when I open BS2 on the old PC, it seems to have updated or reverted and lost everything, so this .bsm file and a few recipes I put up on the cloud are all I have left of my library stretching back 10 years.

I REALLY need to get to those recipes, since I am about 4-5 months away from opening my brewery. I tried changing the suffix to .bsmx, but that just hard crashed the program.

Any ideas? Anyone I can send the file to that can open it and send me the xml's or the raw txt files? I'd rather enter them again manually than lose them completely.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.35.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.35.18 PM.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 252
I am not 100% sure this will work, but seems like a viable solution. If you can download a copy of BS2 to your macbook, then open the recipe library there, then try exporting them and importing them into BS3, that should work.

Now, if your Mac has Big Sur OS or newer, then BS2 may not work. What you could do is make a copy of the recipe library file, then try importing it on the old computer into BS2 and continue to try exporting it into a file that BS3 will accept on the new computer.

If there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know, and good luck opening your brewery!

Sam

samlbowles said:
I am not 100% sure this will work, but seems like a viable solution. If you can download a copy of BS2 to your macbook, then open the recipe library there, then try exporting them and importing them into BS3, that should work.

Now, if your Mac has Big Sur OS or newer, then BS2 may not work. What you could do is make a copy of the recipe library file, then try importing it on the old computer into BS2 and continue to try exporting it into a file that BS3 will accept on the new computer.

If there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know, and good luck opening your brewery!

Sam

Dude, you rock! That did it. Saved my butt. I owe you some beers if you ever make it to Knoxville!

FYI, I started the process as soon as you posted. It took that long to boot the old comp, open chrome, download the attached email file, open BS2, export the recipes as both bsmx and xml, and email them back. Decrepit ol PoS.

Back