• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sulfate X 3?

dicken74

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I was just listening to Martin Brungard on the Experimental brewing podcast, and he said that the sulfate levels on a Ward Labs report need to be multiplied by 3 since they are Sulfate expressed as Sulfur (SO4-S). Also found this comment of his on a thread: "So, there are 32 grams of sulfur in a mole of sulfate.  This is what Ward is reporting.  But to report the entire weight of the sulfate in the water, you have to multiply the SO4-S number that Ward provides by the SO4/S ratio (3) to arrive at the actual sulfate weight."

Does anyone know if this is also true for Beersmith? I know Brunwater is a different system, but this info seems like it should be universal, right?

BTW, I HATE water chemistry. It's the only topic where the more I read, the more confused I get!

I expect that it is also true for BeerSmith because it deals with ppm of sulfate, not sulfur. Fortunately, my Ward Labs result for sulfur came back as 1 ppm, so it doesn't really matter if I triple it or not because it is very close to zero either way.

--GF

Back