• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Still experiencing issues in Beersmith 3 on Big Sur

phil_rusher

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Greetings, fellow brewing humans!

I've been having difficulty with getting Beersmith to operate normally since I updated to Big Sur despite running the latest version of Beersmith software. I've emailed Brad about this but only got canned responses (same exact email from him both times), which is frustrating. Here are the issues I'm experiencing:

- If I open a recipe and scroll in any direction I get remnants of the beer glass image as well as any text boxes that were scrolled over. The remnants remain in both the horizontal and vertical scroll bars.
- I can't see any of the X's to close recipes or tools tabs.
- I don't see correct coloring when selecting different schemes
- I can't ever see the vertical cursor when entering text in any of the windows
- If I enter a volume for mash tun deadspace it will automatically increase the volume of water needed even if the checkbox is not checked

I've even uninstalled and reinstalled without any change. Any advice is appreciated.

I only tested in a VMware virtual machine on my MacPro. The video driver / capability is pretty generic. I didn't notice these issues but I will fire up a VM again and giver 'er a go and post back here.

Hopefully I can help with the vertical cursor... my guess is you're in dark mode... I prefer this too and so live with a very light colored cursor. Look closely, it's there. Have not experienced the other troubles... am using Big Sur and latest BS

As for the X to close tabs it is gone. Just use save or cancel.

Well I guess there's comfort in knowing that I'm not alone! Thanks for the input, everyone.

@jomebrew if you figure anything out let us know!

Somehow missed this thread before posting about BS3 Big Sur issues.  Here's what's going on with me.

When I make changes to a recipe like the date for example and click OK it appears to save but bounces all the way out of the recipe folder/category that I have open in My Recipes folder.  then when I open that folder again the changes I made were not saved.  Sometimes BS will close when I click OK on a recipe and when i try to reopen I get the already open dialog box.  The only way I can get changes to save to a recipe is by doing Save As and renaming it, then closing BS3 completely.  When I reopen BS3 my changes will have been saved.  I've been using BS3 since it came out with no issues on this mac until just recently.  Haven't used it much since going to Big Sur 11.1 so I have to assume that's the issue...

I also have an odd "graphic" of some kind over the X of any tab I am viewing.  If I click there it closes everything.  BS still looks open on my MAC app toolbar but when I click it i get the aforementioned already open dialog box. 

Mac bug fixes are mentioned in the release notes for beta 3.1.  Anyone tried it yet?

Installed Beta release and it seems to have fixed my problems.  Will update if otherwise.

Back