• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Account Verifiction

Kevin58

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Is there an account verification system that can be put into place for this forum? Some days the amount of spam posts is staggering. I don't see anything matching the number of spam posts on other forums.

There is. It appears spambots are using valid email accounts and are coming from a wide variety of IP addresses making it difficult to thwart them. Since they are using non-identifying details and connections, we can't simply ban email addresses account names or IP addresses.  Since they are using new and valid data, the spam checker doesn't get a hit either. A manual verification is cumbersome and there isn't a team of people managing things here.  Today alone I think I purged 300 fake accounts and scanned a couple dozen others and deleted maybe a dozen posts from accounts that passed screening. I haven't checked the links they post though. maybe there are some legit cooking videos  ;D ::)

I keep seeing new accounts I know will post spam and can tell from their usernames and other profile details they are spam. But, I can't nuke them unless they fail a spam account validation or post a spam message. I kind of want to go all Minority Report on them but, alas, must take the more prudent wait and see approach.

So, there will be a continuance of these cooking spam posts as well as others. Sadly, none have been about cooking spam which I may actually leave up  ;D ::)

Back