Author Topic: Account Verifiction  (Read 214 times)

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I make beer. Not a style.
Account Verifiction
« on: January 12, 2021, 02:54:40 PM »
Is there an account verification system that can be put into place for this forum? Some days the amount of spam posts is staggering. I don't see anything matching the number of spam posts on other forums.
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
Re: Account Verifiction
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
There is. It appears spambots are using valid email accounts and are coming from a wide variety of IP addresses making it difficult to thwart them. Since they are using non-identifying details and connections, we can't simply ban email addresses account names or IP addresses.  Since they are using new and valid data, the spam checker doesn't get a hit either. A manual verification is cumbersome and there isn't a team of people managing things here.  Today alone I think I purged 300 fake accounts and scanned a couple dozen others and deleted maybe a dozen posts from accounts that passed screening. I haven't checked the links they post though. maybe there are some legit cooking videos  ;D ::)

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:21:18 PM »
I feel for you, Jomebrew!  Thanks for all the good work you are doing.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:12 PM »
I keep seeing new accounts I know will post spam and can tell from their usernames and other profile details they are spam. But, I can't nuke them unless they fail a spam account validation or post a spam message. I kind of want to go all Minority Report on them but, alas, must take the more prudent wait and see approach.

So, there will be a continuance of these cooking spam posts as well as others. Sadly, none have been about cooking spam which I may actually leave up  ;D ::)