• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Specific Heat for the 70l Stainless Steel Thermal pot?

exoticatom

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what I should use for BeerSmith3 Equipment profile in section Mash Tun specific heat for my mash tun which is actually a thermal container or isolated stainless steel pot. It's so well isolated that it can keep temperature conserved for 5-10h, but thermal material is between steel walls, so it's made of stainless steel.

Shall I use like 0.12 for steel or 0.3 for the cooler made out of plastic ?

Not sure if the image would come up - search for "Thermobehalter Edelstahl - 70 L":
Tried search trough this forum but couldn't find good answer. Thank you. 

5a708582c4e41_10233_600x600@2x.jpg

I would think you wouldn't use stainless, because that's just the material holding the insulation. But you wouldn't just use the plastic either because there is stainless... best way would be to measure it yourself. I know there's a method out there but I can't seem to find it right now. Maybe somebody else will chime in with it.

Maybe send an email to Brad. He might be able to help you with a formula.

beerprof said:
I would think you wouldn't use stainless, because that's just the material holding the insulation. But you wouldn't just use the plastic either because there is stainless... best way would be to measure it yourself. I know there's a method out there but I can't seem to find it right now. Maybe somebody else will chime in with it.
thank you. that would be my assumption, too.

Reply from Brad:

"I would use the plastic number as it is heavily insulated.  Steel loses heat pretty quickly

Cheers!

Brad Smith
BeerSmith.com
Learn more about home brewing from my Brewing DVDs, book,  blog and podcast!
Follow BeerSmith on Twitter and Facebook"

If you want to dial it in without going through the tedious maths involved, you can set it up with one of the recommended settings and then heat up some water as if you were striking into a mash.  In the mash tab, se the grain temperature to your target and mash tun temperature to the ambient temp.  Record the actual strike water temperature and ambient temperature of the mash tun.  Add the water into the mash tun and stir for a few minutes.  Now take the resultant temperature. 

Going back into BeerSmith, you can adjust the specific heat until the strike temperature and water temperature in your mash tun match your measurements.  It is a bit of trial and error, but it will make your initial brewing closer to what you want.  You can make additional changes as needed

ok. Thank you all.

I will start with what Brad proposed and work out details from there.

Back