• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 3.1.08: Transferring computers

padajones

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm running BeerSmith 3.1.08.  I need to transfer my BeerSmith information to a new computer. I looked at this FAQ: http://beersmith.com/faq/#:~:text=Next%20download%2C%20install%20and%20BeerSmith,directory%20on%20the%20new%20computer. It mentions copying the Documents/BeerSmith3 directory.

I don't think this is accurate for the version I'm running.  On my computer the files in this directory have not changed since 7/5/2020.  Meanwhile I made changes in BeerSmith as recent as yesterday.

Are there new/revised instructions that are applicable for BeerSmith 3.1.08?

If you kept the app library location as default when setting up then the Beersmith3 file is located in: c:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming/Beersmith3

where XXX is your computer name.

Thanks.  I didn't realize there was a setting for this.  I look for this setting so I have the precise location, filling in the XXX, for my installation.

Best method with 3.1 is to use the File->Full Backup to Zip to create a zip file on the old computer.

Then move the zip file to the new computer, install BeerSmith and use File->Full Recover from Zip to recover from the zip file.

Brad

Thanks.  I'll take the backup zip file approach.  Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow.

Back