• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Composition of Primo/Glacier water

crob500

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a relatively new brewer, and am focused on getting my water right.  I am planning to use the filtered water that you can get from the kiosks outside of a typical grocery store.  In my area in Northern CA we have Primo.  Glacier is another version (subsidiary of Primo).

Does anyone have water chemistry from these sorts of systems?  They do general filtration (RO/DI), which isn't what's throwing me.  What is confusing is that I've read they add in "essential minerals" so that means i don't really know what i need to add to my profile to hit my targets. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  I am doing BIAB, if that helps.

Thanks,

Cory

If they add anything back into the water, they are required by law (at least in the U.S.) to provide a list of the ingredients.  I would check the web site of the water supplier (Primo/Glacier/whomever) and you may find a mineral analysis of the water.  Worst case, email them and let them know you are considering using their water for making beer but need the water analysis.  More often than not, they will reply.

Get a YDS meter. My experience has been TDS in the 20 +/- 10 ppm range from the Primo RO dispensing machines.

Good advice, thanks!  I got an email response from Primo about their water profile.  See below....

Hello,

At our refill stations we do not add anything. If you purchase our prefilled bottles we do add minerals back for flavor. I have them listed below. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Minerals we add are calcium chloride (calcite), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt). These are food grade and meet US pharmaceutical grade requirements.

Back