• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding juices

BSBC

Owner
Reaction score
For the last few years i have made an apple fruit beer for fall. I have always just subtracted the amount of sparge water and added in that amount at the end of my boil. Thereby acheiving the full boil volume and the remaining sugars needed for the beer.

For instance , leaving out 20gal of sparge water for a 3bbl batch and adding in that 20gal as juice in the boil and reaching my starting estimated gravity.

I have figured out how to add Apple juice and adjust the wavering sg of the juice but i am haveing trouble making beersmith see the apple juice additional volume.

How do you make the program see the change in sparge water and estimate how much sugar you may leave in the mash? So that when you add the apple juice it reflects that addition and adds in the remaining sugars needed?

In modeling beer recipes, BeerSmith looks at all fermentables as sugar by weight that is then diluted into your water. When adding juice, BeerSmith doesn't account for additional volume, only the added sugar content. To account for volume, you have to put top up "water" into the equipment profile, choosing pre or post boil times. This will make the sparge volume change by the corresponding amount.

If the addition is substantial, you will probably have to change your brewhouse efficiency to account for lower efficiency from the grain.

In general, your target brewhouse efficiency will fall between 65% and 80%. Depending on the method and ingredients, a recipe might have a brewhouse efficiency of 75% for a batch-sparge homebrewer.

Back