• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewsteps - bug in report?

Bjorn

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I select hold sparge salts until boil in the water tab it comes out like the first picture:
Under the heading Water prep which doesn't make any sens. It is not total water prep. Its is if anything Mash water prep. That should be the heading. The following water treatment is just for mash water. The mash ingredient part does not include any water salts.

The water volume under water prep should be mash volume not total volume that does not make any sense to include at that point in the report.

Sparge water treatment is now under boil.

When I don't hold water salts to boil. (second picture) The mash salts are still under water prep. The total volume is still where the mash volume should be. But also sparge salts are now included in the mash. Although they do say sparge in brackets. The report should have a separate sparge section in the report.

Attachments

• bresteps.png
    bresteps.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 279
  • brewsteps 2.png
    brewsteps 2.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 268
Hard to tell what's really going on with the limited part of the design page you show, but I suspect the problem stems from you either have not selected a mash profile prior to going to the wate rpage or haven't modified the mash profile to fit your brewing technique.

Here's how I've dealt with water with good results. Design the recipe, including ingredients, ,mash profile, with any necessary adjustments, being sure to check the appropriate boxes to fit your brewing procedure. Click the add water button and select your source water. Next, go to the water page and select your desired profile, checking the appropriate boxes. The program will split the water, and additions as indicated by your mash profile and boxes checked on the water page.

BeerSmith relies heavily on your inputs and will perform calculations based on them. If your inputs don't accurately reflect your procedure, neither will the calculated outcomes.

The only difference between the two is one have I checked the box for: Hold sparge salts until boil, and the other one I have not.

This thing has bee an issue from when I started using beersmith a couple of years ago. It is not a bug in beersmith it's a bug in the report.
Also the volume thing is confusing.

A bug in beersmith is that the software doesn't seam to take into account that DME has mass.
If you want to make a 3 liter starter, and add 3 liter of water and 300 grams of DME you do have approximately 3.3 Liter starer. The same problem does beersmith have.

If you want to make a 20 liter batch of 100% DME. Lets say you add 4 kg of DME. Beersmith does not take into account that you get about 4 liter extra volume from the DME.

Bjorn said:
A bug in beersmith is that the software doesn't seam to take into account that DME has mass.
If you want to make a 3 liter starter, and add 3 liter of water and 300 grams of DME you do have approximately 3.3 Liter starer. The same problem does beersmith have.

First, I think you mean that the DME has volume.

Second, standard instructions for making a starter is to measure out the DME and then fill with water to the desired volume, so the volume the DME contributes does not really factor in.

You are correct that the software does not take this volume into account when figuring out the water additions in a recipe.

Oginme said:
First, I think you mean that the DME has volume.

Second, standard instructions for making a starter is to measure out the DME and then fill with water to the desired volume, so the volume the DME contributes does not really factor in.

You are correct that the software does not take this volume into account when figuring out the water additions in a recipe.

The starter thing was just to make my case. Not how to make a starter. In this case it really does not matter all that much.

Mass and volume are fundamental properties of matter, and these two properties are related to each other. Mass will be proportional to volume when the density is a constant. If anything possesses a volume, it also has a mass.

Back