• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to change the order of Items?

WAhydrohead

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm am giving Beersmith 3 a first try, and I am running into a seemingly weird issue. I am assuming it is a meatwear problem.

How do I change the order of items in either the design list or in the recipe list?  I see that "#" column in the design phase, but can't figure out how to change it.  And everything is more or less listed backward for me in the recipe view.  I have even tried to make minor insignificant changes to the time of things and will still put longer times things after shorter timed things in the recipe list.

It seems like, in the design phase, it's trying to force me to add things in a stepwise order, which just seems annoying.  As it would sound more efficient to me sot select all my hops while I have the hop list open and then deal with the timing in the design screen.

Click on any of the column headers for the ingredients to sort by that column - for example clicking type will list ingredients by type.  The '#' column will list in order of use during the brew day.

Brad

I want to change the item number not re-sort. Resort just flips the list so that Item #10 is at the top, it does not change its item number.
I want to make item #10 become item #8

It might help to understand just what items you are looking to change and your logic behind it.

BeerSmith numbers the items based upon when they are used in the brewing process from beginning to end.  If there are several ingredients going in at the same time, it prioritizes them by amount and if the amount is the same, alphabetically.  This is a logical order when looking to brew, putting the ingredients in the order of usage just like a recipe from a cookbook.  If #8 is your yeast and #10 is your dry hop addition then it is understandable that one would add the yeast in before the dry hop. 

Maybe you have a different rationale for your order and if you give some details, we may be able to think of a way you can accomplish it.

OK, so maybe this is a "hacking the system" thing.
I include everything in my beer recipes in step order, it helps me not to eff-it-up, and shunts as much of the thinking to the design and prep phase.
So I want my recipe to also include the BIAB-bag, and the hop bag, and the bottle-caps (although I noticed that was already an item in your system). And basickly anything that goes into the boil even it is "equipment"
But I don't use the grains or the hops before I use their respective bags, I use the bags to gather up their intended materials and then place them in the appropriate place on the work table waiting for their addition into the pot.

Right now, the recipe lists;
  grain
  grain
  grain
  grain bag

and it lists;
  hop
  hop bag 60-min
  hop
  hop bag 15-min
  hop
  hop bag 0-min

I want to see
  grain bag
  grains list

hop bag 60 min
  bittering hops
  hop bag 15 min
  hops that go in at 15 min
  hop bag 0 min
  hops that go in at flame-out

Although, if there were a way separate out the different parts of the boil process more distinctively, even with a "dummy ingredient" that just marks the time, that would work as well, because then at least everything is grouped by time step.  Similar to how it is grouped under the time tab, but with the clock as a countdown instead of a count up.
I flame out at 0-min, not at 60-min.

I have tried changing the 60-min hop bag to a 70 min hop bag, but it still lists the 70 min bag after the 60 min. hops.

And yes, I do realize this is totally a "my brain works funny mental issue".  I saw the item number and thought it should be something I could edit.

Just what is a 60 minute hop bag?  Maybe it would be easier if you export the recipe with this issue as a .bsmx file and we can see directly the ingredients and how they are entered versus the timing of the additions.

It's equipment. 
It's the mesh bag I put hop pellets into and then I toss the bag with its hop pellets into the brew pot.

I have a similar issue with listing the order of dry hops added.  My method is to add a dry hop charge and then remove it 1-3 days later, and replace it with another charge.  I start off with a 1 day addition, remove, and then there a 3 day addition, etc.  but BeerSmith will list the longest days of addition first.  It seems to me if you could edit the # column, then you could force the proper order.  Perhaps there is another way to do this?
Cheers!

nekofarm said:
I start off with a 1 day addition, remove, and then there a 3 day addition, etc.  but BeerSmith will list the longest days of addition first.  It seems to me if you could edit the # column, then you could force the proper order.  Perhaps there is another way to do this?
Cheers!

You're currently looking at "days before bottling," which is a standard, if old school, dry hop notation. BeerSmith 3 has updated the notations.

Double click the hop addition and there will be a drop down menu for which process you want to add it. When you select "dry hop" you'll get additional choices about whether you're adding in primary, secondary or even later. From there, you can choose whether you're specifying "days into" fermentation or days from bottling.

WAhydrohead said:
OK, so maybe this is a "hacking the system" thing.
I include everything in my beer recipes in step order, it helps me not to eff-it-up, and shunts as much of the thinking to the design and prep phase.
So I want my recipe to also include the BIAB-bag, and the hop bag, and the bottle-caps (although I noticed that was already an item in your system). And basickly anything that goes into the boil even it is "equipment"
But I don't use the grains or the hops before I use their respective bags, I use the bags to gather up their intended materials and then place them in the appropriate place on the work table waiting for their addition into the pot.

Right now, the recipe lists;
  grain
  grain
  grain
  grain bag

and it lists;
  hop
  hop bag 60-min
  hop
  hop bag 15-min
  hop
  hop bag 0-min

I want to see
  grain bag
  grains list

hop bag 60 min
  bittering hops
  hop bag 15 min
  hops that go in at 15 min
  hop bag 0 min
  hops that go in at flame-out

Although, if there were a way separate out the different parts of the boil process more distinctively, even with a "dummy ingredient" that just marks the time, that would work as well, because then at least everything is grouped by time step.  Similar to how it is grouped under the time tab, but with the clock as a countdown instead of a count up.
I flame out at 0-min, not at 60-min.

I have tried changing the 60-min hop bag to a 70 min hop bag, but it still lists the 70 min bag after the 60 min. hops.

And yes, I do realize this is totally a "my brain works funny mental issue".  I saw the item number and thought it should be something I could edit.

If you're doing BIAB and of bag all of your hop additions, it seems like the bags would be hard to forget, so I'm finding it hard to understand why you need these things listed as reminders. If you really feel you need these reminders, you could print out the Brew Steps and make notations with a red pen or other eye catching media. Another possibility would be to edit the names of hops in your ingredients data base by adding, "BAGGED", or something similar.  Example:  Chinook pellets, BAGGED

The question is not whether you agree that he needs to be reminded of bags (an effort to nullify his question), the question is how to change the order of items in BeerSmith.  Whether you agree with his reason for wanting to do it or not shouldn?t have any influence on the solution.

I don?t need to be reminded to clean and/or prepare my brewing equipment but every time I print brew steps there it is: ?Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment.?

BTW, I?ve seen may Brits brew this way. They weigh and bag their hop additions. At the time specified in the recipe, they toss the bag in the kettle, clip it to the side, or tie it to the handle.

How about creating a miscellaneous ingredient named "hop bag 60" and give it a time of 60 minutes (maybe 61 minutes to make sure it is listed before the first charge of hops). Then make more miscellaneous ingredients named "hop bag 30"... "hop bag 15" etc. to account for the different times you may need to add hops. That way the order of the ingredients should be:

hop bag 60
EKG hops 1oz
hop bag 15
Fuggle hops 1oz

Brew Bama said:
The question is not whether you agree that he needs to be reminded of bags (an effort to nullify his question), the question is how to change the order of items in BeerSmith.  Whether you agree with his reason for wanting to do it or not shouldn?t have any influence on the solution.

I don?t need to be reminded to clean and/or prepare my brewing equipment but every time I print brew steps there it is: ?Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment.?

BTW, I?ve seen may Brits brew this way. They weigh and bag their hop additions. At the time specified in the recipe, they toss the bag in the kettle, clip it to the side, or tie it to the handle.

I never said that I didn't agree, nor did I make any attempt to nullify the original question. I simply stated that I didn't understand. The question had been answered, apparently without a solution the OP felt solved the problem, so alternatives seemed to be appropriate. If your opinion differs, so be it. I don't always agree with your responses, but have never criticized them. If you're bored to the point of criticizing those who offer help, perhaps you should spend some time searching for a solution that's acceptable to the OP. I'm sure that would break the monotony.

Back